|8-13 Мая 2023 г.
The selected candidates will need to prepare a programme not exceeding 6‒10 minutes and including two contrasting works of the competitor’s own choice.
The selected candidates will need to prepare a programme not exceeding 10‒15 minutes and including two contrasting works of the competitor’s own choice, one of which should be from the Baroque or Classical periods.
• One study of free choice from David Popper’s High school of cello playing, Op. 73;
• Prelude of free choice from Johann Sebastian Bach’s Suites for solo cello, BWV 1007‒1012;
• Tadas Petrulis Pier for cello and piano (composed especially for the competition, 2019);
• A virtuoso piece of free choice (duration 5–7 min).
One of the listed concerto works:
• Antonín Dvořák, Cello Concerto in B minor, Op. 104, B. 191, mvt. I Allegro;
• Édouard Lalo, Cello Concerto in D minor, mvt. I Prelude, Lento – Allegro maestoso;
• Camille Saint-Saëns, Cello Concerto in A minor, Op. 33;
• Piotr Tchaikovsky, Variations on a Roccoco Theme, Op. 33.
The selected candidates will need to prepare a programme not exceeding 20 minutes
1. One of the listed works for solo cello:
• Henri Dutilleux Trois strophes sur le nom de Sacher;
• György Ligeti Sonata;
• George Crumb Sonata.
2. One prelude of free choice and one or two additional movements from Johann Sebastian Bach’s Suites for solo cello, BWV 1007‒1012.
Six competitors will be chosen to reach the semi-final stage of the competition. The Jury can decide to choose seven competitors as an exception.
1. Claude Debussy Sonata for cello and piano in D minor, L. 135.
2. Anatolijus Šenderovas Sonata for cello and piano (1977, Edition Verlag Neue Musik).
3. One of the following sonatas for cello and piano:
• Johannes Brahms, Sonata in F major, Op. 99: mvt. I Allegro vivace;
• Felix Mendelssohn Sonata No. 2 in D major, Op. 58: mvt. I Allegro assai vivace;
• Edvard Grieg Sonata in A major, Op. 36: mvt. I Allegro agitato;
• Richard Strauss Sonata in F major, Op. 6, TrV 115: mvt. I Allegro con brio.
Three cellists will be chosen to participate in the finals. The Jury can decide to choose four competitors as an exception.
Finalists appear in a public concert with the Klaipėda Chamber Orchestra under the baton of Martynas Staškus.
1. Zoltán Kodály Sonata for solo cello, Op. 8: mvt. I Allegro maestoso ma appassionato.
2. Joseph Haydn Concerto for cello and orchestra No. 2 in D major, Hob. VIIb/2, Op. 101.